The “HELPERS IN NEED” WATER
Mehrn has had a mineral spring for centuries. This mineral spring, which these days is what gives Mehrner Heilwasser its justification, has always been closely associated with St. Bartholomew’s Church in Mehrn. According to spoken tradition, the history of the mineral spring goes back to pre-Christian times and it was honoured as a spring shrine, on whose site the first church was built in 1111.
The first documentary evidence of the healing water goes back to 1267. A spring from which clear, rich, great tasting water with a special content bubbles.
The new church was consecrated in honour of St. Bartholomew in 1698: the 14 auxiliary saints are greatly admired and the spring became known as the “Fourteen Helpers-In-Need Water”.
In the early 19th century, due to the unholy activities concerning the withdrawal of water at the consecrated site – behind the altar – it was deemed necessary by the church to fill in the water outlet on high authority. After this, the healing water created a new exit for itself at the foot of the church’s hill.
In around 1863, the spring was rediscovered during excavation works. Many spectacular successful cures were reported in the years around 1878, and its reputation as a fountain of health began to grow and it became ever more popular.